Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sunday Night Reflection

I don't know what most people do or how they feel on Sunday night, but it usually leaves me reflecting on the day. I am usually exhausted and today is no different. I am tired physically and mentally after a day of preaching and teaching. My throat is usally sore from the talking and singing. I'm generally pooped.

More than the exhaustion, I also reflect on my classes and sermons. Did I say the right thing? Did I say it in a way that would cause growth? Did I provide Scriptural proof and evidence so that the hearer grows in their faith and make the necessary changes in their life? Did I provide Spiritual nourishment for the faithful who want to worship God and have their faith strengthened and reproved? Did I say things by word or by tone that would drive someone away? Did I preach the word in a way that is acceptable to God and enables the congregation to worship in spirit and in truth? Sunday nights are usually about reflection.

I often feel like I could have said something differently or maybe approached the subject differently. I often make notes on my computer and edits to the sermon outline just in case I preach or teach this subject again and can do some things differently. It is challenging to think of ways in which I can improve my preaching in structure and in delivery. Of course, the main point is to be standing on the solid foundation of the word and declaring the truth of God to the body of Christ. However, I always feel like I can do better.

So we come to the end of another day of worship and study. I have grown. I hope others have as well. The projector is put up, my computer is moments away from being shut down, and I will soon be at home having supper with my family. It has been a good day. I have begun to get to know people better. Life is good.

I wonder how others feel on Sunday nights.

Read your Bibles, pray and be the salt and light God wants you to be this week. Let's change the world for the better.
Denny

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Denny, in regards to what J.W. McGarvey wrote in his Four Fold Gospel. In his section on the crucifixion of Jesus, his commentary said that Jesus had power to forgive the robber's sin because his new covenent had not begun. The requirement for being baptized was not in effect until after His death, burial and being raised from the dead. J.W.McG.also stated that denomonational use of this scripture to justify deathbed confessionals for salvation is not true it may be something that you already have studied. I would appreciate hearing your views on this subject. .....Mack Courtney

Anonymous said...

P.S. I forgot to say that I really enjoyed your sermon, it was a powerful presentation.
Mack Courtney AKA Annomonmus, whatever...

Denny Wilson said...

Mack, I agree with McGarvey. Jesus had the power on earth to forgive sins. The new covenant had not yet gone into affect. Those are two of the reasons why the thief on the cross is not an example for us today in conversion. Thanks for the comments.

Denny Wilson said...

By the way Mack, I was looking for my copy of that book this past week and couldn't find it. It is lost in the move. I am sure it will turn up. It is probably in one of the boxes in my garage. However, I have it in electronic format. Thanks again for the comments.

Anonymous said...

Denny, I have the electronic copy on my Kindle Fire. The Kindle Fire is a fine tool with asix different Bible versions. I also have the copy from the J.W. McGarvey web page.