Sunday, October 6, 2013

Steadfast Love (Psalm 6)

David prayed, “Turn, O LORD, deliver my life; save me for the sake of your steadfast love” (v.4 – ESV). The NKJV says, “Return, O Lord, deliver me! Oh, save me for Your mercies’ sake!”

David was under duress. He asked for mercy rather than the anger and the chastening of God (v.1,2). He was tired and frustrated with the attacks of other against him. Notice how much anguish he was in: “I am weary with my groaning; all night I make my bed swim; I drench my couch with tears. My eye wastes away because of grief; It grows old because of all my enemies” (v.6,7).

Have you ever had one of those nights? You know the kind of night where you just can’t sleep and your mind is racing. You struggle to keep your thoughts under control. Your eyes constantly water as you toss and turn in deep thought. That was the kind of tearful night facing David as he poured out his anguish to God (v.8-11).

Often we tell everyone else but the One who can actually do something about it: God. God loves us and wants to give us His mercy and kindness. God is love (1 John 4:7,8). His love made possible salvation for those who believe (John 3:16). Like David, we are not worthy of God’s gift because we have sinned (Romans 3:10,23). Yet, because of God’s mercy and steadfast love, we have hope of salvation.

Have you considered the steadfast love of God? He can be trusted! He will always be there for you. God loves you and wants you to repent and to be saved (Acts 17:30; 1 Timothy 2:4). Will you turn to God?

No comments: