Monday, January 20, 2014

Psalm 18 - I Will Call Upon the Lord

The 18th Psalm contains the words to one of my favorite songs. Verse three declares, “I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praise: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.” At the time of writing these words, David was being pursued by Saul. David was in a fight for his life, yet he wasn’t worried because he knew what to do. He knew that God would protect him. He wrote, “I will love thee, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower” (v.1,2).

As we begin 2014, let us take the same courage and confidence in trusting in the Lord. Surely there will be good days this year, but there may also be very difficult times. Rather than letting our enemies or circumstances hold us down, let us remember that we can call upon the Lord! He will provide for and protect His children. However, even if we must deal with terrible tragedy in the New Year, let us have courage to trust in God and the confidence to take up the cry of Paul, “For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21).

The 46th verse declares, “The LORD liveth; and blessed be my rock; and let the God of my salvation be exalted.” When times do get tough, stand upon the Rock! Remember that all things work together for good for those who love God, for the called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28).

Put your faith in God, call upon Him in time of need and in time of joy, and remember that in the end, if we live faithfully until death (no matter how hard life may be), we will have eternal life through Christ who makes possible our salvation.


If you would like a home Bible study to learn more about Christ and His church, or if you would like to study from a free DVD, please let us know. God provides us with solid footing when we stand upon the promises of His word. Make every opportunity in 2014 to study from the word of God. Let us know if we can help.

No comments: